Friday, July 8, 2011

Random Stuff

I couldn't think of a better title.

So, today was another off day. As I said, Coach is trying very hard to get me out of "panic mode" because as he said, there is nothing to panic about.

The Personal Cook said the same thing.

And Carolina sent me something awhile ago that I keep in my inbox and reread often. She went to a triathlon camp and I benefited a lot from it! She listened to a sports psychologist and they said

Its ok to not have positive thoughts or to have crappy days or crappy
workouts... you don't have to think positive all the time, but you should try to
work on being ok with thinking/feeling negative, and then focusing on the actual
actions that you are doing...
And

I know it's easier said than done, but you don't need to waste energy on trying to be positive, and focus the energy on the workout. On putting one foot in
front of the other, on keeping each revolution on the bike as efficient as
possible, on taking each stroke as efficiently as you can.... try to think of
the mechanics of the motions you are doing, on your posture, on your breathing
instead when your mind starts wandering to "oh, this feels worse than yesterday"
or "I feel like crap but I need to stay positive" or things like that. Those
negative thoughts will happen and they are ok, everyone has them. You don't have
a decision in how positive you feel, you have a decision on how much energy you
are going to spend thinking about these negative thoughts.

Try to be in the moment physically, have those negative thoughts and think, yeah, I think these things sometimes, I think these negative thoughts, but lets focus on how
my arm is positioned in this sport, or how my foot is positioned, etc.
So I am trying to keep that in mind as well. It's okay to have the thoughts, and move on.

Sandy sent me a card that made me laugh very hard.

And today I read a blog post from Kelzie, a pro triathlete and coach. She was one of the first people I met who actually gets the big checks at races. It was a motivational post that hit in just the right spot.

I am lucky to be surrounded by people who understand and care. I know training has it's ups and downs, and I happen to be in more of a down moment right now. That doesn't mean I regret going through this journey again or wish I made a different choice. It just means that I am learning more about myself. And I will continue to move on.

No comments: