Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Once Again, I Chose to Sit

It was another unexpectedly busy weekend. But a good busy weekend.

After Thursday’s good swim, I was feeling more positive about the training. It’s just hard when the one thing I am most comfortable with in terms of training, doesn’t go well. Friday was a beautiful day and I convinced my personal cook to do another PW/R with me. He took the watch and off we went. And I felt great! It was 10/20/5/10, and at the end of the first 20, my legs were a bit tired, but overall, not too bad. We then made it up Capitol Hill, AND I kept running. Because when I said I wanted to walk, my PC said “or we could just slow down a bit” and kept going. I was pretty happy with workout, even though I just wanted to lie down in a patch of green grass and take a nap…

Saturday was an easy long ride, 2.5 hours with no computer/Garmin/distance/speed. Only time. It was a bit hard to get used to, but after I just ‘let go’, it wasn’t too bad. About 30 minutes into the ride, I caught a guy who said “Wait, I just saw you”. I was pretty confused until he said “You were just at Pierce mill, parking your car, right?”. Me “yes”. Him “Damn, you are FAST!”. I had to wipe a tear away; as it was the first time anyone I didn’t know called me fast! We leaped frogged a bit the rest of the way and it was nice to chat with someone for awhile. That was the first hour and a half. The next hour was painful. Not in the bad way that something hurt, but I just didn’t want to be on my bike any more. I was tired. My legs were tired. I wanted to go to sleep. So I bribed myself with food. If I made it to a certain turnaround point, I would get a sandwich.

And that sandwich was wonderful.

The rest of the day was spent touring Europe. Or more specifically, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, and Slovakia.

Sunday was a day off. I know, a weekend day off seems CRAZY! But it was really nice, especially because I would help out at my friend’s training triathlon event. I helped out with the swim, and was in water support. Good thing too as I pulled out 3 people… It was also good to see that my wet suit still fits! I would have much rather been with my mom for her day, but she seemed to like my card and flowers.

I fell asleep on the couch around 9 so I thought I would be nice and rested for yesterday’s PW/R. Not so much. My PC and I met after work for a 15/20/5/20 workout. He had the route mapped out, took the watch, and off we went. Within the first 5 minutes of the run, I was tried. We weren’t going too fast, I was just tired. Which lead to frustration (I mean, I had the day before off, AND got plenty of sleep). But I was quickly reminded of the bike ride on Saturday, the sprinting in the open water to help people, and the early mornings for those two activities. And that not every PW/R will be great, even if I want them to be. But we finished, and finished strong, and I was happy. So instead of doing laundry, or cleaning my apartment, or showering, I chose to sit. And it was awesome.

I am constantly reminded that I am surrounded by wonderful, caring people, who often believe in me more than I believe in myself. I have said it before, and I will continue to say it – thank you.

No comments: