Thursday, September 25, 2008

To Swim or Not to Swim...

Well, I don't think that is really up to me any more. Mother Nature strikes again.

Now I was getting a bit annoyed at the Columbia tri org for not posting more information about the swim. I understand that the main event is the full Iron distance race and most information is in regards to that event. However, do not offer an event (the Swim Fest) if you are not going to give it attention. I e-mailed the info address with some basic questions
- It's a point to point swim. Where do I park and what times are the shuttles (assuming there is one).
- Is there a bag drop? If so, where, the start, the finish?
- Where do I pick up the swim cap?

All basic info, right? The logistics must be a nightmare with with the start, T1, T2 and finish all in different places. But again, post information about each event, or don't offer them.

So, all of this being said, not receive a response from the race organizers, and having to get up at 3:30 am and drive 2+ hours (including across the bay bridge) - I started to wonder if I should even do the swim. Now I have not signed up for a race and backed out in over 3 years. Something I am very proud of. I don't quit, I don't stop, I just keep going - slowly, but I do. And I hate paying for things and not doing them. But - I might have to on this one, especially with the weather. "They" are calling for rain and up to 30+mph wind. A possible tropical storm. Maybe some flooding in the area. Overall, not ideal swimming conditions.

I have nothing to prove. I wanted to do this because I like swimming. I wanted to see what it felt like to try and go fast(er), knowing I didn't have to bike and run after. But I don't think it's in the cards for me.

Still keeping the option open. The storm could turn and the weather could be perfect, then I will go. But right now, it's a good 70/30 - not going.

No comments: