Friday, October 24, 2008

I Can't Believe I Did THAT!

Sunday is the Marine Corps Marathon and 10K. Jess, Sherry, Rose, Erik and I are all running the 10K and went to packet pick up today during lunch.

Anyone who read my previous blog knows I have a zillion pet peeves. Another one is the people who wear last years shirt to the current years event. Or some type of race shirt to another race pick-up, morning of the event, etc. I don't know why. A lot of people don't mind and think it's the appropriate place to wear such clothing - not me. I feel it's a bit peacock like (you know, "stick your chest out, look at me and see how great I am" type). Blah! No else cares what you have done in the past and you are only trying to intimidate others; or at least that is how I feel about it.

So we are standing in line at the pick up and the guy behind us is wearing a Ironman Cancun 70.3 fleece. My first thought was "Uhhh, not another one". BUT, then I look down and realize I am wearing my IM Wisconsin finishers jacket!! I was one of those people today and H-A-T-E-D it!!

Yes, I am so incredibly proud of the fact I did an Ironman and enjoy wearing my jacket (and t-shirts, hats, visors, etc.). However, most people have no real idea what an Ironman is, and don't grasp the concept of 140.6 miles.

Those are my thoughts for the day. Have a great weekend!!

3 comments:

Kat~ said...

Love that coat. When people notice it they ask you did a 140 miles in one day??? What is a IM they follow up with. Have a great 10K.......ding-ding....kidding. Kat~

Merissa C. Piazza said...

I think the jacket is cute. Wear it, own it. I saw a guy on the bus wearing an Ironman fleece and I really wanted to chat him up about his experience but I realized that would be weird - and he had headphones on.

Anonymous said...

Wear it and be proud of it.