Saturday, November 29, 2008

Maybe I am just a wimp

Today I tried something different for a workout. I went to a free CrossFit class given by Potomac CrossFit. I am all about trying new things for workouts and have heard both good and bad things about Crossfit, so with a free class - why not?!?!

Well, let me start off by saying - I HATE doing things I suck at, and I SUCKED at this! Totally 100% not good. CrossFit is high intensity, short amount of time, push your self for 20-ish minutes, and it's different workouts each day. Now this is a complete 180 change from what I have been doing - which is maintain and be able to keep going - endurance sports. I can do a 5K, 10K, all distances of triathlons, 4.4 mile swims - but I can't do a flipping push-up, pull-up, box jump, or dead lifts with more than just the bar.

I don't move quickly and have a hard time pushing myself for short bursts, which is needed for this type of workout. I know it was my first time and I shouldn't write it off just yet, however it was just a bit frustrating for me and very much made me feel wimpy.

Luckily, I had a tasty brunch after so that helped.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I do CrossFit with a group in Cap Hill and started in June or July. I sucked ROYALLY at it my first few times....actually the first month. I was only good at situps. Push-up? 5-7 and I was toast. Lifting with the 45lb bar? ForGET it! I had to start with a wimpy 15lb bar that was part of an old weight bench set. I stuck with it and in my 5-6 month and love it. Kicks my butt but it's worth it. I've been out of tris for about 2yrs and slowly getting back in, but CF has helped get me in great shape and stay there making the transition back to tris not as difficult as before. Stick with it - you'll love it and the results. Do some research for natural body weigh workouts you can do on your own - pushups, situps, standing squats, walking lunges. 3-5 sets of 10-20 reps. Great workout and a nice change of pace from the gym. Good luck!

J said...

Hmmm, I'm curious to try it for free. Where'd you get your free class? Maybe it would be good just for one day a week...

J said...

Okay, I am dumb. I just figured it out from the links.