Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm A What?

As you have read, my neck isn't feeling really great right now, so I was very excited to go to my doctor. I decided to start with my chiropractor/ART (Active Release Technique) doctor, as I felt very comfortable with him and the help did for my back.

Doctor Keith started off but explaining the muscles in the neck and how they connect to the back and shoulders. He followed this up with some muscle movement and slowly but surely, i was able to move my head more and more to the left. Yay!

I did ask what I could do to prevent this from happening again. He first said I need to continue to work on my posture. I said I had been, especially keeping my shoulders back and down (Note - if you ever see me, please remind me of SBD, shoulders back and down. Thanks!). He then said one of the funniest things I have ever heard.
"And, you are a woman". Then he stopped talking.
I broke the silence by saying "Wow, way to put that doctoral degree to work! Nice Doctor!" Probably not the best thing to say to the man who was holding my head, but I couldn't resist. He started laughing and it took a few moments for him to compose himself.
What he was trying to say was that, as a woman, I am a bit more top heavy (yes, I have boobs), and have to work a bit hard to support my carriage properly (than a man). I knew what he was trying to say, it was just a funny way to say it.

And it only got better because he did follow up that conversation with "and you do have a decently sized head" or something like that. Basically he said I have a heavy head and need to build my neck muscles to properly support its weight.

So here is what I learned.
1. The muscles in my neck spazzed out a bit and seized up.
2. The muscles in my neck don't inflame, which is why Motrin didn't help.
3. Turning your head 70 degrees is normal.
4. Turning your head 90 degrees is actually hyper extending your neck.
5. ART really helps me.
6. I am a woman.
7. I have a heavy head.

Overall, it was a great appointment and I am feeling much better. I CAN TURN MY HEAD TO THE LEFT!

3 comments:

Catharine said...

Haha! Funny post. I'm glad Dr. Keith is helping and that you're doing better. He is such a gem!

I need posture help, too. Maybe we should start a support group or something?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm! Decently sized head. I guess I'll leave it at that.

Arin_C said...

Decently sized head?... Well I'm at a loss for words.