Monday, June 8, 2009

And Sunday's Post

Slowly catching up. It helps that I write these in my head through out the day...

Sunday's drive out to Sandy Point State Park was one of the best drives I have had in a long time. The sun was fighting through the clouds and haze in a way that made everything look like a black and white picture - with touches of green. It very much reminded me of one of my favorite moments in Ireland this past fall - this is a color picture on the left and one of the most beautiful places I have even been.

Anyway, I was hoping this would be a good sign for things to come.
Not so much.

There were 9 of us for the swim. We chatted as we got ready and headed to the beach. I of course had my special sparkle wetsuit bag and shared my big butt story - all of which I hope made a few people a bit more comfortable. We picked out a course of buoys and we were on our way. It was a good swim, but I remembered that ear plugs are very necessary. I did get a bit dizzy, but was okay. I am definitely nervous for next week as the bridge is SO FAR!!
Anyway, 6 of us headed out on a bike course. Now lately I have been doing okay on the bike, or so I thought. I don't know if it was the lack of sleep, eating queso as my primary food source, or just riding with really REALLY fast people. I was SMOKED!

It started off okay, I think mainly because we got a bit lost and there were a lot of turns. The cue sheet wasn't the best, especially with the mileage counts. So there was a lot of stopping, checking the map, and even using the iPhone for GPS help. Once we figured out where we were, and the correct route, we were on our way - a lot faster. About 12 miles into the ride, there were two larger hills; I totally bonked after second and was left in the dust by everyone else.

I was mad at my self for not eating well last week, not going to bed early enough, sleeping instead of showing up for Tue/Thur HP rides (and not even putting Carlos on the trainer to make up for it) and over all just disappointed in my self. It was a hard ride with a good lesson learned.

Things need to change. I need to do better. I WANT to do better. I don't like just getting by, or just having okay rides. I joke about being the excuse Queen, but it really does need to stop. I didn't realize this fast enough for a great Bay Swim on Sunday, but hopefully enough for a good Half Ironman in September.

No comments: