Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Everyone Else Does, So I Guess I Should Too

It's New Years Eve - a day people look back at the year, look forward to the future, and tend to drink a lot. A lot of other blogs I read are doing end of the year wraps ups, so I guess I should too.

Expect I don't like doing that. There are some things in 2008 that were amazing. Mainly, my Ironman. I accomplished something I never really thought I could do. I learned how extremely lucky I am to be surrounded by so many amazing family and friends who support me during the hard times as well as the good. The year overall is a bit of a blur; just a lot of swim, bike, run, work, eat, sleep - repeat over and over again.

Somewhere in all that repeating, or in the 3 months after, something changed. I got tired of feeling helpless, slightly lost, down on issues, and feeling like I had to control everything. Somewhere I remembered that I have choices. There's a whole lot I can not control, and it's hard and it sucks. But there is a lot I can control, and it's about focusing on those choices.

So in a lot of ways, I don't want to look back at 2008. I can't change it; there are somethings I would like to re-do, but it's a waste to even think it because it won't happen. There are also things that were amazing, once in a lifetime experiences. But overall, I am choosing to focus on 2009. Let things happen as they will, learn from previous experiences and make my choices to the best of my ability.

2009 - the year of choices.

Have a wonderful, safe and fun night!!

No comments: