Sunday, October 17, 2010

Old Rag Who???

It was an amazing day!

I was originally scheduled to head back to Cambridge, MD to do a ride with Diane and Mary Elizabeth (and someone else too but she had to work on her new basement). But, I just could not talk myself into hot/flat/windy riding - again. For the one hundred thousandth time. So Diane and Mary Elizabeth let me off so I didn't have to ride in hot/flat/windy again.

Instead, I went hiking. It was the most beautiful (and windy!!) day and it had been awhile since I went for a hike. And the last time I went on a real hike (not the stuff Molly took me on in Colorado or Sarah took me in Atlanta) in the area, I took a bit of a tumble. So, I was ready to go again.

Here is the 'problem'. I went with a bunch of triathletes. I think they thought the first part up the mountain was a race. Seriously - this was no casual hike. I have never passed so many groups, and never NOT been passed before the rock scramble. It got to the point where I just let everyone go and figured I would make it to the top eventually. When I made that decision, I started to enjoy the hike a bit more. There were a few moments when I was completely alone - my friends where too far in front, and the group we passed was too far behind. It was very peaceful.

Eventually, we hit the rocks and everyone was waiting for me - and the fun really started. Here is Sandy crawling up rock.
We had a mini break and checked out this beautiful views, had a Snickers, and had a random puppy come visit from nowhere. We hope he belonged to someone...

Then there was more fun. And by fun, I mean rocks to climb up. And when I say climb up, I mean get a push from Ty. I think some of us would still be stuck on the mountain if Ty wasn't there. And Julia didn't seem to mind (he he he).

Anyway - there was only one point in time where I missed Egypt road. The top of Old Rag never seemed to get any closer.

But, we finally made it to the top, and we sure do know how to celebrate.After a lovely lunch on a mountain, and it was pretty windy up there, we started to make our way back down the mountain. I can't believe I am going to admit this, but at times, we actually all ran down parts of the road. It was actually easier on the knees and quads. Yes, I know that does sound crazy - but it was true.

And of course, because we like to pose for pictures, there was another beautiful opportunity. Notice how we are all standing... Taste the rainbow?

Even though we raced up the first part, and I needed a few pushes up some of the rocks, it was a really great time. Thanks to Ty, Julia, Alejandro, Christian, Carolina and Sandy for a great day.

Oh, and according to my Garmin, which did stop a few times, it was close to 9 miles in 4 and a half hours. All the notes say it closer to a 5 and a half hour hike... Sill fast people!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time.