Monday, August 29, 2011

This Past Weekend

I haven't posted about this past weekend because I don't want to actually write it out. It was supposed to be such a happy day. Karen organized a K-Train Moo Taper ride with a special rest stop. The rest stop idea was scratched due to the weather and a little (let down of a) hurricane that was headed our way. But Bryan, thank you so much for offering up your home, with BACON, and I am so sorry we had to miss out.

Alejandro rode with me for the first part of the ride and it was great to catch up with him. I am SO EXCITED that he will be in Madison to cheer and sherpa and cheer. Karen rode with me the second part of the ride and it was good to hear about some of the off season activities she has planned. Remember, for some reason, a bunch of us do what Karen tells us to do...

Overall, it was about 2 hours and 45 minutes, around 40 miles. The problem? It hurt. It was uncomfortable. Especially on the hills. I kept telling myself they were just momentary moments of discomfort. Cramping, muscle spasms, the pain just sitting on my saddle - they would all just go away. And sometimes they did. Especially after I stretched at the gas station and took some Motrin. And when I stopped riding in aero. But the pain, spasms, and discomfort all came back at different points during the ride. I don't think I went more than 10 minutes where I felt comfortable.

Needless to say, it was a mental blow. I'm having a hard time remembering all the training I have done over the past few months because all I can think about is what I am not doing now.

But all I can say is that on September 11th, I will be in Lake Monona, I will swim 2.4 miles, I will get on my bike, and I will see what happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your words hurt my heart. But, take solace in the fact that we are still 13 days out and a lot can happen in those 13 days. Stay strong, continue your rehab, and I will send good thought your way!

Stephanie